Area Manager, Brooklyn
Reporting to the VP of Cafes, the Area Manager is an inspirational leader who is passionate about the customer experience, flawless cafe operations and people development. The Area Manager is responsible for day-to- day management of their cafe and team in addition to overseeing 2-3 other locations within their assigned market. They will build, train and develop a talented team which delivers results, encourages and fosters the Stumptown culture and creates one-of- a-kind customer experiences. Serving as the point person for their market, this position will work directly with Stumptown cafe managers and baristas to develop and execute business plans which reflect the strong community they operate in.
Leadership: The Area Manager is responsible for creating an engaged and high performing team through coaching and direction. This includes: - Modeling Stumptown values, culture and leadership behaviors and fostering a respectful, inclusive and fun environment for customers and employees alike - Assessing talent and hiring great team members - Setting clear objectives and holding team accountable to high performance expectations - Regularly providing constructive feedback and coaching to direct reports - Tailoring your leadership and communication style to your audience, regularly shifting between managing baristas within your cafe, cafe managers within your market and then communicating with HQ and other cross-functional teams. - Creating compelling development plans and career opportunities for direct reports and high potential leaders - Leading and inspiring a rich culture of quality, passion for coffee, execution, training, development and high-performance - Staying up to date with coffee preparation, espresso, industry trends and organizations, as well as events and activities - Onboarding newly hired/promoted cafe leadership in home market through training and mentorship
Execution: The Area Manager is responsible for overall execution in their cafe and the cafes in their assigned market through daily operational excellence. This includes: - Placing the right people in the right roles and ensuring proper position training - Implementing and upholding Stumptown policies, procedures and operational standards and maintaining a high level of execution against these standards - Managing and protecting Stumptown’s assets and complying with policies and procedures regarding record-keeping, cash-handling, inventory management, food safety and risk/loss prevention - Leading the consistent execution of product and brand initiatives - Driving exceptional hospitality including friendliness, cleanliness, speed of service and beverage quality - Maintaining a working knowledge of the local trade area to build relationships and drive revenue
Results: The Area Manager is responsible for maintaining profitability where all productivity, sales, people and financial targets are met. This includes: - Clearly communicating expectations for performance standards - Delivering positive sales, traffic and profit results for cafe and market - Delivering against established customer feedback metrics - Attaining employee training, development and turnover targets - Ensuring brand initiatives are implemented and performing to set targets
- Manage employees within assigned cafe and
- Manage Cafe Managers within 2-3 other cafes in assigned market
- 3-5 years management experience, in café, restaurant or other food service industries required; 1-3 years of experience in multi-unit leadership strongly preferred.
- Solid understanding of specialty coffee and/or food and restaurant industry landscape.
- Demonstrated passion and enthusiasm for coffee, quality and service.
- Working knowledge and understanding of coffee shop, café or restaurant financial fundamentals:
- Working knowledge of financial and enterprise systems and programs (i.e.: NetSuite, eRestaurant) and POS (ie, Square, Toast, etc).
- Knowledge of profit/loss and baseline financial performance.
- Ability to lead and deliver training in one on one and small group settings.
- Ability to confidently and diplomatically present constructive feedback to staff.
- Ability to exercise sound judgment in short order – calm under pressure.
- Professional and effective communicator both written and verbally.
- Excellent time management and general organizational skills.
- Ability to travel locally and nationally up to 10-20%
- Stand and walk—must be able to stand for shifts and move about the café
- Perform repetitive motion with the hands, wrists and forearms to operate espresso machinery
- Taste/Smell – ability to detect and perceive smell of coffee
- Talk/hear – frequently communicates with customers
- Carry weight, lift – lift up to 5 pounds frequently and up to 50 pounds occasionally
- Work is performed at the cafe
- The work environment can be noisy
We are an Equal Opportunity Employer.
We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, sex, age, national origin or disability.