Director of Cafés
The Director of Cafes is an inspirational people leader, tasked with communicating and leading a shared vision for Stumptown’s café organization. They will build and develop a talented team which delivers results, encourages and fosters the Stumptown culture and creates one-of-a-kind customer experiences. Serving as the point person for all things Cafes, this position will work directly with Stumptown cafe managers and baristas to develop and execute business plans for each of Stumptown’s unique cafes which reflect the strong community they operate in. This person will work closely with the Vice President, Retail to set policies and expectations that are consistent between regions, accomplish big picture goals, and ensure standards are met. In addition to working directly with retail, this position will be expected to communicate and partner cross functionally with all HQ departments in order to provide an unsurpassed coffee experience.
Leadership: The Director of Cafes is responsible for creating an engaged and high performing team through coaching and direction. This includes: - Modeling Stumptown values, culture and leadership behaviors - Setting clear objectives and holding teams accountable to high performance expectations - Regularly providing constructive feedback and coaching to direct reports - Creating compelling development plans and career opportunities for direct reports and high potential leaders - Leading and inspiring a rich culture of execution, training, development and high-performance
Execution: The Director of Cafes is responsible for overall execution in cafes through daily operational excellence. This includes: - Placing the right people in the right roles - Ensuring proper position training across the region - Developing and implementing Stumptown policies, procedures and operational standards and maintaining a high level of execution against these standards - Leading the execution of product and brand initiatives - Driving exceptional hospitality including friendliness, cleanliness, speed of service and beverage quality - Maintaining a working knowledge of each trade area to build relationships and drive revenues
Results: The Director of Cafes is responsible for maintaining profitability where all productivity, sales, people and financial targets are met. This includes: - Clearly communicating expectations for performance standards - Delivering positive sales, traffic and profit results for both existing and new cafés - Delivering against established customer feedback metrics - Attaining employee training, development and turnover targets - Ensuring brand initiatives are implemented and performing to set targets
- Act as the internal and external face and voice of Stumptown retail cafés.
- Facilitate regular meetings with retail managers both in café and remotely.
- Foster and maintain Stumptown culture, felt by team and customers alike.
- Work in conjunction with the marketing department to improve and expand café marketing, offerings and aesthetics.
- Understand and follow food safety regulations as outlined by the Health Department.
- Stay informed of knowledge related to coffee preparation, espresso, industry trends and organizations, as well as events and activities.
- Direct responsibility for café managers in all geographies.
- 5+ years multi-unit management experience, preferably in café, restaurant or other food service industries.
- Solid understanding of specialty coffee and/or food and restaurant industry landscape.
- Demonstrated passion and enthusiasm for coffee, quality and service.
- Working knowledge and understanding of coffee shop, café or restaurant financial fundamentals:
- Working knowledge of financial and enterprise systems and programs (i.e.: NetSuite, eRestaurant) and POS (ie, Square, Toast, etc).
- Knowledge of profit/loss and baseline financial performance.
- Ability to confidently and diplomatically present constructive feedback to staff.
- Ability to exercise sound judgment in short order – calm under pressure.
- Professional and effective communicator both written and verbally.
- Excellent time management and general organizational skills.
- Ability to travel locally and nationally up to 25-50%
- Carry weight, lift – lift up to 5 pounds frequently and up to 50 pounds occasionally.
- Taste/Smell – ability to detect and perceive smell of coffee.
- Work will take place in both office and café setting.
We are an Equal Opportunity Employer.
We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, sex, age, national origin or disability.