We are an Equal Opportunity Employer. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, sex, age, national origin or disability.
Reporting to the Director of Cafes the Café Manager sets the example for their café and works directly with baristas to develop and execute business plans which reflect the strong community they operate in. The Café Manager is responsible for day-to-day management of their cafe and will build, train and develop a talented team which delivers results, encourages and fosters the Stumptown culture and creates one-of-a-kind customer experiences.
- Modeling Stumptown values, culture and leadership behaviors and fostering a respectful, inclusive and fun environment for customers and employees alike
- Setting clear objectives and holding team accountable to high-performance expectations by regularly providing feedback and coaching.
- Tailoring leadership and communication style to audience, regularly shifting between managing baristas, Leads and Sr. Leads
- Creating compelling development plans and career opportunities for team and high potential leaders
- Onboarding newly hired/promoted cafe leadership in home market through training and mentorship
- Placing the right people in the right roles and ensuring proper position training
- Implementing and upholding Stumptown policies, procedures, and operational standards and maintaining a high level of execution against these standards
- Managing and protecting Stumptown’s assets and championing policies and procedures regarding record-keeping, cash-handling, inventory management, and food safety.
- Leading the consistent execution of product and brand initiatives
- Setting the conditions for exceptional hospitality including friendliness, cleanliness, speed of service and beverage quality
- Maintaining a working knowledge of the industry trade area in their respective market by building relationships, partnering with local organizations, and actively engaging with the community through participating/hosting events and activities.
- Responsible for creating and executing monthly and quarterly business plans to drive revenue and maximize bottom-line profitability
- Responsible for leading day-to-day activities that embrace sustainability and reduce the impact on the environment. Follow SOP's for minimizing waste, conserving energy and limiting water usage and share ideas on how to improve processes whenever possible.
- Other duties as assigned
- Manage all professional development aspects of café employees
- 1-3+ years management experience, in café, restaurant or other foodservice industries required.
- Solid understanding of specialty coffee and/or food and restaurant industry landscape.
- Demonstrated passion and enthusiasm for coffee, quality, hospitality, and service.
- Working knowledge and understanding of coffee shop, café or restaurant financial fundamentals
- Working knowledge of financial, POS, and enterprise systems and programs (i.e.: NetSuite, Restaurant) and POS (ie, Square, Toast, etc).
- Ability to confidently and diplomatically present constructive feedback to staff.
- Ability to exercise sound judgment in short order – calm under pressure.
- Professional and effective communicator both written and verbally.
- Excellent time management and general organizational skills.
- Open to feedback and constantly striving to improve.
- Stand and walk—must be able to stand for shifts and move about the café
- Perform repetitive motion with the hands, wrists, and forearms to operate espresso machinery
- Taste/Smell – ability to detect and perceive the smell of coffee
- Talk/hear – frequently communicates with customers
- Carry weight, lift – lift up to 5 pounds frequently and up to 50 pounds occasionally
- Work is performed at the cafe
- The work environment can be noisy
- Interface with the public
At Stumptown, we welcome diversity and celebrate that our communities include individuals from all backgrounds, identities, and walks of life. We strive every day to foster an environment of inclusion, diversity, equity, and accessibility that supports our employees, customers and communities. We know that embracing diversity makes us stronger, enriches our culture, and allows us to grow together. We encourage candidates with diverse backgrounds, identities, skills, and abilities to apply. If you require reasonable accommodation in completing the application, interview or assessment process, please direct your inquiries to a member of the People team at email@example.com or by calling (855) 711-3385. We are proud to be a B Corp and equal opportunity employer.