Los Angeles, California
We are an Equal Opportunity Employer. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, sex, age, national origin or disability.
Many hands play an important role in Stumptown’s commitment to high-quality coffee. Our Baristas are entrusted with the responsibility of ensuring the quality of our coffee is actualized, as our partners at source intended, from bean to cup. Stumptown Baristas contribute to the success of their café by consistently providing exceptional hospitality, and quality beverages and products. Baristas are expected to pursue growth of their coffee knowledge and develop passion for the craft. When we are operating at our best, every barista models the Stumptown values of continuous growth, best in class hospitality, and quality in all things. This position is designed to support all cafes in the market by filling in gaps in schedule and providing coverage when needed. This position will have a varying schedule and will be working at multiple cafes within the market thus requiring flexibility on the part of the employee. The nature of the role is temporary (Estimated 3 months) and will be periodically evaluated to assess the needs of both the employee and the cafe.
- Prepare espresso beverages for customers, meeting Stumptown’s quality standards.
- Deliver an exceptional customer experience; Proactively engage with customers to understand and meet their needs – go the extra mile to make their day with a perfect cup of coffee.
- Develop a thorough understanding of our coffees, teas, foods, merchandise and promotions to drive sales, service and have knowledgeable conversations with customers.
- Maintain a clean and organized environment to customers and coworkers in all areas of the store.
- Demonstrate willingness and openness to change and share your ideas on how to make your store even better.
- Taste coffee, tea and specialty beverages regularly to maintain familiarity with product and quality standards.
- Accurately process transactions in the POS system and reconcile till.
- Practice self-reflection and ask for feedback on performance; know and hone your personal strengths and opportunities for improvement.
- Responsible for day-to-day activities that embrace sustainability and reduce the impact at your facility should be followed. Follow SOP's for minimizing waste, conserving energy and limiting water usage and share ideas on how to improve processes whenever possible.
- Other duties as assigned.
- Minimum 1 year speciality coffee experience
- Demonstrated passion and enthusiasm for coffee as well as a desire to educate others about our coffee.
- Ability to deliver exceptional hospitality in a personal and professional manner
- Strong attention to detail and healthy respect for cleanliness and sanitation
- Flexibility and availability in schedule is required
- Able to commute between cafes
- Health department license or certification as required by state or local requirement.
- Great communication skills both with employees and customers of all backgrounds
- Open to feedback and constantly striving to improve
- Ability to multi-task with ease
- Early AMs, nights, weekends and extreme reliability required
- Stand and walk—must be able to stand for shifts and move about the café
- Perform repetitive motion with the hands, wrists and forearms to operate espresso machinery
- Taste/Smell – ability to detect and perceive smell of coffee
- Talk/hear – frequently communicates with customers
- Carry weight, lift – lift up to 5 pounds frequently and up to 50 pounds occasionally
- Work is performed at the café
- Interfacing with the public
- The work environment can be noisy