Cafe Senior Lead
We are an Equal Opportunity Employer. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, sex, age, national origin or disability.
Reporting to the Café Manager, the Senior Café Lead creates a store environment focused on customers, coffee and quality by modeling Stumptown culture. Senior Café Leads are responsible for coordinating training programs of all new Barista’s and serve as quality assurance for the team. Senior Café Leads are expected to constantly expand on their coffee knowledge, continue to develop their passion for the craft and exemplify Stumptown values of constant growth, best in class hospitality and quality in all things.
- Act as the service lead, ensuring customers receive an exceptional experience in service, speed, quality, cleanliness, and hospitality; serve as the face and voice of Stumptown to customers in the cafe.
- Lead excellent hospitality through effective deployment, training and in the moment coaching.
- Partner with Cafe Manager to achieve financial results and operational targets by driving sales and effectively managing store resources.
- Assist in managing daily activities including managing receipts and deposits; aiding in café maintenance and general upkeep; and ensuring coffee availability and café menus are up to date.
- Maintain extensive coffee knowledge; know origins and stories of coffees available; attend monthly trainings; stay informed of industry trends; assist with customer education.
- Complete a Train the Trainer program to become a Stumptown educator.
- Ensure consistency among all baristas at the café on Stumptown’s coffee, espresso, milk techniques, and brew methods; Function as in-house QA, ensuring that standards are met with every drink that goes out to customers.
- Work in conjunction with the regional Education Team and Cafe Manager to onboard new hires using the on-boarding checklist, ensuring their smooth and timely development towards bar certification.
- Communicate with staff about sign up and details for coffee trainings; Ensure all employees sign up, arrive on time, attend as enrolled, and act in a professional manner; Where applicable, administer coffee trainings from core curriculum developed for the cafes.
- Responsible for day-to-day activities that embrace sustainability and reduce the impact on the environment. Follow SOP's for minimizing waste, conserving energy and limiting water usage and share ideas on how to improve processes whenever possible.
- Other duties as assigned
- Ensure café employees are delivering on our hospitality and quality standards to customers by directing and following up on tasks and assignments throughout the shift.
- Support skill building for all cafe employees by providing honest and constructive feedback on drink quality.
- Oversee Barista training schedule to ensure that training timelines are met.
- One year of previous restaurant/hospitality and previous shift supervisory experience is required.
- Health department license or certification as required by state or local requirement.
- Experience and proficiency with Stumptown espresso preparation standards.
- Demonstrated ability to hold self and others accountable to achieve goals and uphold commitments.
- Must be able to work independently with minimal supervision.
- Demonstrated passion and enthusiasm for coffee as well as a desire to educate others about our coffee.
- Great communication skills both with employees and customers.
- Early AMs, nights, weekends and extreme reliability required.
- Stand and walk—must be able to stand for shifts and move about the café
- Perform repetitive motion with the hands, wrists and forearms to operate espresso machinery
- Taste/Smell – ability to detect and perceive smell of coffee
- Talk/hear – frequently communicates with customers
- Carry weight, lift – lift up to 5 pounds frequently and up to 50 pounds occasionally
- Work is performed in the cafe
- The work environment can be noisy
- Interfacing with the public
At Stumptown, we welcome diversity and celebrate that our communities include individuals from all backgrounds, identities, and walks of life. We strive every day to foster an environment of inclusion, diversity, equity, and accessibility that supports our employees, customers and communities. We know that embracing diversity makes us stronger, enriches our culture, and allows us to grow together. We encourage candidates with diverse backgrounds, identities, skills, and abilities to apply. If you require reasonable accommodation in completing the application, interview or assessment process, please direct your inquiries to a member of the People team at firstname.lastname@example.org or by calling (855) 711-3385. We are proud to be a B Corp and equal opportunity employer.