New York, NY
We are an Equal Opportunity Employer. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, sex, age, national origin or disability.
The Roasting Manager will manage people, quality assurance (QA), equipment, safety, and the administrative needs of the Roasting Department in New York. The manager will provide strong leadership to the staff to support their good performance and professional growth. At a national level, the manager will collaborate closely with the Coffee, Logistics, Operations, and HR teams on a consistent basis. This is a full-time, salaried position that reports to the Director of Roasting.
- Lead a team of Roasters, Apprentices, and Green Coffee Handlers to perform at a high level, delivering on Stumptown’s promise of quality.
- Attend to people-management needs such as scheduling, payroll, hiring, development and training of staff, creating a positive work environment founded in respect for one another to support their personal and professional growth.
- Coordinate roasting and green coffee handling to help fulfill daily orders and support team members
- Manage the regular cleaning and maintenance of all roasting equipment for safety and optimal performance
- Oversee general organization of the facility to support workflow, safety, and hospitality
- Maintain accurate green coffee inventory using Google, Netsuite and Cropster software
- Manage recipes and roast profiles in close coordination with Quality Department
- Conduct routine quality assurance and other sensory exercises for staff participation
- Engage with all visitors to the roastery, leading by example to represent Stumptown within the industry and community
- Act as a critical component of market leadership, forging strong connections with vendors, peers and supporting the East Coast General Manager.
- Set goals for performance and deadlines in ways that comply with the company's plans and vision
- Organize workflow and ensure that employees understand their duties or delegated tasks
- Monitor employee productivity and provide constructive feedback and coaching
- Proactively communicate observations and action plans for continuous improvement to the Director of Roasting
- Demonstrated passion and enthusiasm for Specialty Coffee.
- At least (5) years of roasting experience on a commercial drum roaster
- Highly motivated people manager with a positive attitude
- 2-5 years previous people, product and/or process management preferred
- Familiarity with GMPs, Organic and food safety certifications, and lean manufacturing
- Excellent time management and flexibility to prioritize scheduled tasks
- Demonstrated problem-solving skills, concentration and focus with hands-on tasks
- Basic technical aptitude and willingness to learn equipment details and needs
- Basic familiarity with Google Docs, Netsuite, Cropster and other computer tools to enable organization
- Professional written and verbal communication skills
- Standing – ability to stand for long periods of time
- Carry/Weight/Lift – ability to lift 75 pounds. Weight greater than 50 pounds will be mitigated with a lifting partner or device
- Taste/Smell – ability to detect and perceive smell and taste of roasted coffee
- Talk/hear – frequently communicate with employees, vendors and clients
- Perform repetitive motion with the hands, wrists and forearms to operate facility equipment
- The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions
- The noise level is high. Ear protection is provided
- Roasting machines and the environment in which roasting happens can get warm and temperatures fluctuate. Proper dress should be considered and certain workwear is provided
- The position will be five days per week and while each work week will consist of two consecutive days off, necessary workdays may fall on a weekend.
At Stumptown, we welcome diversity and celebrate that our communities include individuals from all backgrounds, identities, and walks of life. We strive every day to foster an environment of inclusion, diversity, equity, and accessibility that supports our employees, customers and communities. We know that embracing diversity makes us stronger, enriches our culture, and allows us to grow together. We encourage candidates with diverse backgrounds, identities, skills, and abilities to apply. If you require reasonable accommodation in completing the application, interview or assessment process, please direct your inquiries to a member of the People team at email@example.com or by calling (855) 711-3385. We are proud to be a B Corp and equal opportunity employer.